Home moving is a rather complex matter. The preparation for it should start as early on as possible. Here are the things you have to look after:
Two months before the move:
- Sort out your things. Decide what you will take with you at the new place and what you are going to leave behind. De-clutter your home and do a house clearance so that you can get rid of all unnecessary rubbish. Thus you will optimize the process of packing and you will travel lightly to your new home.
- Start researching moving companies and requesting quotes. You should also get the paperwork and various permits/registrations for the new place under control. Remember, the sooner you start the better.
A month before the move:
- Get your packing supplies – removal boxes, wrapping, labels etc. When it comes to purchasing packing supplies, there is one golden rule – that you get at least 10% more boxes than you think you are going to need. It is always possible to miscalculate and in such cases it would be best to have more than to have less, right?
- Take measurements at your new home in order to see if your furniture is going to fit in the rooms. Doing that a month before the actual relocation will give you time to decide what to do if something does not fit.
A month to three weeks before the move:
- Decide which moving company you are going to work with and then make the necessary arrangements. In some cases, it would be best to have your movers of choice perform a viewing, so have that in mind too when you are tailoring your schedule.
- Start with the packing. This is a very important thing to do, but it is also a taunting and exhausting task, so it would be best to give yourself enough time so that you do not over-strain yourself. Do not forget to put a label on every box you pack.
- Put jewelry and important documents in a safe box, so that you can get it with you on your moving day. It might be a good idea to put the quote from the mover in the box too, so that you can check it out for reference if that is necessary.
- Fill out a change-of-address form at your local post-office so that deliveries can be forwarded to your new place.
- Notify important parties about your change of address. Those include family and friends, but also employer, bank, brokerage firm, credit card and insurance people etc.
- Forward your medical records to your new health-care provider as well as the school records of the kids towards the new school.
Two weeks before the more:
- Contact your moving company to make sure everything is okey with your reservation.
- Get time off work on your moving day.
- Get your car checked by a mechanic.
A week before the move:
- Pack your suitcases with essentials – change of clothes, prescription medicine, some food for the first night at the new place, towels, toiletries etc.
The day before the move:
- Defrost and clean up the freezer.
- Double check all details about the relocation.
- Make sure that your inventory list is in order.